Every year, there are a number of fatal crashes relating to driving under the influence (DUI) on and around the national Independence Day holiday in Southern California. To combat crash incidents, the California Highway Patrol regularly uses sobriety checkpoints and saturation patrols during the holidays in busy areas of Orange County.
According to a news report by the Newport Beach Patch, 78 drivers were arrested in Orange County between the night of July 3, 2013 and the morning of July 7, 2013. It is unclear if the jump in arrests from the 28 DUI related arrests last year is a reflection of the extended holiday weekend or of increased efforts by law enforcement.
If you should find yourself in the unfortunate position of being pulled over for impaired driving, be polite and courteous at all time with police officers.
- Be concise with your answers.
- Do not discuss how much alcohol you consumed or where you were before you were stopped.
- Do not talk about the specifics of your situation. Y
- ou have the right to deny taking field sobriety tests or a roadside Breathalyzer test, but remember your refusal will likely result in your arrest.
- Once at the police station, you are required under California law to take a blood alcohol test or risk losing your license.
- You do not have to answer any questions regarding your arrest without first talking to a lawyer.
If you are taken to the station on suspicion of driving under the influence, it is important to remember that you have rights. Take your situation seriously and that you request to speak with an Orange County criminal defense lawyer. Your attorney will fight to have your charges thrown out or potentially get any penalties reduced.
A conviction for drunk driving in Southern California can result in thousands of dollars in fines, fees, and penalties. In addition to jail time, a DUI conviction in Orange County can also mean probation, increased insurance premiums, substantial fines and court fees, a lengthy license suspension, and mandatory participation in an alcohol treatment program.
The DUI defense lawyers at the Law Offices of David A. Stein know how to expertly handle drunk driving matters in Orange County. We provide confidential and no-cost consultations. Call 949-445-0040 today to get your defense moving forward and to protect you from harsh life and financial implications.